Gisborne is the eastern most city in NZ, so if you’re traveling from outside the region why not make the most of your trip out east! Here’s a travel guide with the times it takes to drive here from the main centres.
Gisborne has a number of accommodation options from campsites and backpackers, to hotel and motel accommodation. Waikanae Beach is a 5 minute walk to East Coast Vibes along the beachfront. Check out some options here…
Sunsplash Summer Surf Festival
We are proud to be apart of this week long surf event set to attract thousands of visitors to Gizzy. East Coast Vibes will be the cornerstone of Sunsplash and the social event of Sunsplash. For more information and timetables, check out the website here.
There’s heaps to do in Gizzy and along the East Coast. There’s a strong cultural influence through Kapahaka and Maori visual arts, with works commissioned by the council and dotted around the city. Our white sandy beaches, pristine waters and surf breaks are world famous. The surf is some of the best in NZ. The East Coast is home to a thriving wine and cider industry, so having fun is important to the locals! Here’s a few activities…
– We’re the first city in the world to see the sun, so catch a sunrise, its free!
– Visit a local winery, brewery or cidery
– The fishing and diving is awesome along the coast, here’s some local operators
– Hire a bike, the region is flat and pretty easy to get around.
– Our friends at Eastland Tourism have the full scoop on Gisborne and the East Coast.